
After that we walked through a huge market. Fruit, meats, and tons of fish stands were set up on about two or three blocks. People yelling and throwing beautiful smelling fish into your face. It was kind of cool.

Next was the Duomo, the main attraction of Catania. We walked in and mass was going on. We kind of moseyed around played our tributes to Bellini’s grave and left. There is also a fountain that is outside the duomo, the elephant above is part of it... It was made from the lava rock from Mt. Etna

We went to another museum after that which had a lot of relics in it. I don’t know how I feel about those. It also had a lot of stuff with St Agitha. I think it is catanias main saint. Jamie told me that a saint is usually painted with a saucer in their hand hold something that represents how they died… say a cross means they were crucified. Well Agitha had her boobs chopped off and bled to death. So there were a lot of boobs on plates all over the museum. The rest of the tour had a few more churches and statues in it. Nothing as significant I didn’t think. I did learn that Etna completely destroyed the city some time back and when every thing was rebuilt it was built in the baroque style. You know what they say about the baroque style… if ou cant fix it, its probably baroque… honestly... I dont know if thats a saying at all.
Anyway. Siesta after that. We met a brother and sister from Quebec. They were really nice. We toured a little more of the city with them and went back to the hostel. That night a few people from couchsurfers met us who were really nice. One of them showed us an underground stream that flowed under the hostel we were staying at. There was like a cave down there and you could see the old road that etna covered up years ago… very interesting.

0 comments:
Post a Comment